By Katie Marshall
It’s halfway through February, which means if you are any kind of average human being, you are looking at your 2016 resolutions and thinking “I may have overestimated myself here.” Maybe you only went to the gym once over the past two weeks when you swore on a champagne toast to go every morning, at least, and every other night. Maybe your journal is just as blank as it was when you bought it on January 2, bragging to the register clerk that you were going to write down everything beautiful about this year. Maybe you’ve made dinner for yourself at home a few times here and there, but you’ve also gone out to eat plenty of times. Maybe you’ve taken a few steps, but you’re looking down the barrel of what a marathon this self-improvement thing really is and you can’t help but look at how comfortable and forgiving the couch is.
The problem with self-improvement is the impression it can leave: that you’re not enough, that your small efforts will not amount to the great big change you seek, and that you’re better off not trying. But what if that impression was a fun-house mirror reflection rather than a true reflection of your situation? What if every “wrong” thing you did was actually the exact right thing that had to happen to get you to where you need to go? What if you’re doing just fine, even on the days when you feel like you’re just not doing it all?
You don’t have to #killit every day to succeed in becoming your best self. For when you need a reminder that you are doing everything you need to be doing and that you are wonderful regardless of your accomplishments, here are 20 quotes about acceptance, persistence, and the true beauty of being alive to keep you going.
1. A great future doesn’t require a great past. — William Chapman
2. Don’t bend; don’t water it down; don’t try to make it logical; don’t edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. — Franz Kafka
3. Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them. ― Albert Einstein
4. Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it. — Ann Landers
5. Tell me every terrible thing you ever did, and let me love you anyway. — Sade Andria Zabala
6. The world can suck, sure. Mostly though it’s a blank canvas. If you want to see something brighter in it, you might have to add it yourself. — Patrick Stump
7. You are imperfect, permanently and inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful.— Amy Bloom
8. My turn shall also come: I sense the spreading of a wing. — Osip Mandelstam
9. Acceptance and tolerance and forgiveness, those are life-altering lessons.— Jessica Lange
10. I am my own biggest critic. Before anyone else has criticized me, I have already criticized myself. But for the rest of my life, I am going to be with me and I don’t want to spend my life with someone who is always critical. So I am going to stop being my own critic. It’s high time that I accept all the great things about me. — C. Joybell C.
11. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection. — Gautama Buddha
12. At fifteen you had the radiance of early morning, at twenty you will begin to have the melancholy brilliance of the moon. — F.Scott Fitzgerald
13. Your real nature, in other words, is not only unlimited in its potential, but also completely aware. — Ponlop Rinpoche
14. It’s very hard to have ideas. It’s very hard to put yourself out there, it’s very hard to be vulnerable, but those people who do that are the dreamers, the thinkers and the creators. They are the magic people of the world. — Amy Poehler
15. The truth is of course is that there is no journey. We are arriving and departing all at the same time. — David Bowie
16. I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity. I want this adventure that is the context of my life to go on without end. — Simone de Beauvoir
17. Most things will be okay eventually, but not everything will be. Sometimes you’ll put up a good fight and lose. Sometimes you’ll hold on really hard and realize there is no choice but to let go. Acceptance is a small, quiet room.— Cheryl Strayed
18. You never know what’s around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you’ve climbed a mountain. — Tom Hiddleston
19. Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart. — Marcus Aurelius
20. Make your mistakes, take your chances, look silly, but keep on going. Don’t freeze up. — Thomas Wolfe
Love this? Want more? Like Soul Anatomy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
Read this next:
- Time Is Not A Unit Of Measurement, It Is The Most Influential Entity In The Human Experience
- One Word
- 16 Questions: Ijeoma Umebinyuo
- Love And Compatibility Are Not The Same Thing
- What Andy Weir's "The Egg" Teaches Us About Religion, Philosophy And Ourselves
- How To Raise A Generation Of Kids Who Don't Have A Problem With Anxiety